Back to: Introduction | Search All | Search by Type

Site: 18ST87 Priest’s Point/St. Inigoes Manor House

Context: Lot 305, Field 9a, Shovel test N13875, E8325, Plowzone. This area of the site was home to outbuildings as opposed to the primary residence. For example, an1820 sketch shows a corn house, miller’s house, windmill, and stable in the area.

Context Date Range: c. 1750-1942

Metal: Copper Alloy

Dimensions: 1.1” (28 mm) wide, 0.77” (19.4 mm) tall, 0.08” (2.2 mm) thick

Tine Length: 0.8” (20.3mm)

Copper alloy scroll-shaped plaque with one tine on the back. The front reads “INRI” which is the abbreviation for the Latin phrase, "Iesvs Nazarenvs Rex Iudaeorvm" (Translation: Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews).

The Gospel of John (19:19-20) states that Pilot had inscribed these words on the cross, so the abbreviation often appears in art and on crucifixes. The example on the left was most likely attached to a crucifix made of wood.

Courtesy Naval District Washington, Webster Field Annex.