Site 18CH778 is located about two miles south of the
current Charles County seat of La Plata, Maryland. In 1661, Daniel Johnson
and William Morris patented 700 acres there called the “Johnsontown”
tract. It is unclear whether they lived at the site, but they sold it
only four years later to Henry Hawkins who indeed did reside there until
his death in 1699. After Hawkins died, his widow, Elizabeth, may have
continued to live there until she died in 1717. Their son, also named
Henry Hawkins, inherited the property, but he moved to another tract called
“Faire Fountain” several miles away. More research is necessary
to determine who, if anyone, resided at Johnsontown after Elizabeth Hawkins’
No systematic archaeological study has ever been undertaken
at Johnsontown, but random surface collections in the 1980s and 1990s
compiled a collection of artifacts that date the site from c. 1670-1740.
Diagnostic tobacco pipes with maker’s marks and ceramics such as
Rhenish brown stoneware, Staffordshire slipware, and white salt-glaze
stoneware are the basis of the site’s date range.
For more information:
|King, Julia, A., Scott M. Strickland, Kevin Norris
||The Search for the Court House at Moore’s Lodge, Charles County’s First County Seat. Prepared for the citizens of Charles County.
St. Mary's College of Maryland, St. Mary's City.
The Johnsontown archaeological collection is
owned by the Maryland Historical Trust, and is curated at the Maryland
Archaeological Conservation Laboratory.