Middle Plantation/Dove (18AN46)
Site History
The Middle Plantation site (18AN46) is located in Davidsonville, Maryland, in Anne Arundel
County. Mareen Duvall was a French Huguenot (Protestant) who came to the Maryland colony
in or about 1650 as an indentured servant. Duvall, about 25 years old when he arrived in
Maryland. He earned his freedom in 1659 and embarked on a remarkable career, accumulating
thousands of acres of land, including, in 1664, his home plantation, Middle Plantation.
At his death in 1694, Duvall was one of the wealthiest men in the colony.
In late 1664 Duvall, then listed as a carpenter, received a 600-acre land grant called
Middle Plantation, located in South River Hundred. An adjoining parcel of 165 acres
(Duvall's Addition) was granted in 1670. Duvall lived on the Middle Plantation property
with a succession of wives and twelve children.
Upon his death in 1694, Duvall left his extensive property to his wife and children. His
widow, Mary, received the Middle Plantation house and the 300-acre property associated
with it. The land where the Duvall home was located remained in the extended family
until 1763. After several short-term owners, the property passed to William Hall, who
owned it until 1833. The Dove family acquired the land in 1924 and was held by this
family until around 1980.
Archaeological Investigations
In 1968, Anne Arundel County native son and farmer, William P. Doepkens, found scatters
of artifacts on rented farmland in Davidsonville, not far from a standing late
18th-century house. For the next 22 Mr. Doepkens and his family, with assistance
from professional archaeologists, undertook the archaeological excavation of the
Mareen Duvall Middle Plantation site (18AN46).
Large areas of the site were stripped with a backhoe, making it easy to locate
archaeological features. These features were mapped and excavated, with artifacts
separated by features and areas. As eventually revealed, the site consisted of
a primary domestic compound consisting of an earthfast dwelling, kitchen, dairy
and outbuildings surrounded by a palisade or fence. A number of trash and privy
pits were recorded and excavated. There were 39 unmarked graves, which were
excavated, but the remains were not removed.
A large (238 × 30 to 40 ft wide) spring/stream area (Area 5) was used for
trash disposal throughout the lifetime of the site. Area 5 was removed in seven
sections, which were labeled with letter designations (5N, 5E, 5W, etc.) and
artifacts from each section were kept separate from one another. Two
springs—one bricked and the other a shallow depression—were also excavated
in Area 5. Several small earthfast structures identified in the report as
"coolers" for storing food were also located in Area 5.
The archaeological collections from the site were donated to the Maryland
Historical Trust in March of 2025 and are curated at the Maryland
Archaeological Conservation Lab.
(Edited from archeological site
survey form, Maryland Historical Trust, and Doepkens 1991)