GAI Site 7/CCNPP Site 7(18CV480)
Site 18CV480, also known as CCNPP Site 7 or GAI Site 7, is a mid-19th to early 20th-century domestic site
located on the Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Facility in Calvert County, Maryland. The site measures roughly 152 X
312 meters and encompasses a lower field and a upper field. The upper field is bisected by a gravel
driveway. The site encompasses the location of the former “Parran’s Park” farmstead (MIHP# CT-58), which
was largely demolished by the Baltimore Gas and Electric Company (BG&E) in 1972. Remaining structural elements
of the farmstead include two 20th-century frame tobacco barns, a shed, a modern metal garage, and a trailer.
The site was first investigated archaeologically in late 2006 during a Phase Ib investigation of the property
conducted because of the proposed expansion of the nuclear facilities. The testing consisted of systematic
15 m interval shovel testing (STPs) across the lower and upper fields, followed by radial STPs around positive
finds and close-interval shovel testing in the vicinity of the easternmost tobacco barn. A total of 140 STPs
were excavated within the site, with 46 positive STPs producing 294 historic artifacts. Diagnostic artifacts
indicate a mid-19th to 20th century temporal affiliation for the site.
Shovel tests generally revealed an Ap-B soil horizon sequence, with artifacts recovered primarily from
the A/Ap horizon. Shovel testing documented an artifact concentration in the area of the former Parran's
Park residence at the west end of the upper field. Phase II testing was recommended and carried out in 2007.
Archival background research was conducted. Sites 18CV480 and 18CV482 are located within the same parcel of
land, with ownership histories identical from the early 20th century on. Prior to that, the parcel was two
separate tracts: Locust Grove (aka The Home Place) and the Wilson Farm. The boundaries between the farms
disappeared from the landscape over time and are not illustrated in court records. Furthermore, the family
that purchased and combined the two parcels in the early 20th century (the Goldsteins) also purchased other
parcels which they subsumed into a single farm. Assigning each site singularly to either farm would be a
dubious assertion at best. The two parcels are described jointly below.
Both tracts are believed to have originally been part of a large plantation/estate owned by the Somervell
family. The Locust Grove tract was certainly part of the Somervell property, but the Wilson Farm is less
certain. Joseph A. Wilson acquired his farm by a deed that has been lost due to a fire in the Calvert
County courthouse. However, there is historical evidence that suggests some familial connection between
some of the Wilsons and the Somervells.
The Somervells had been in the area since the early 18th century and held a substantial estate. The 1850
Census identifies Alexander Somervell as a 44 year old white male farmer, holding $20,000 worth of
real estate, with a wife and 5 children. Furthermore, the Slave Schedule identified Alexander Somervell
as the owner of 56 slaves. Historic mapping from 1862 identifies structures in the general vicinity of
the site during the Somervell's period of ownership, but no map shows a house in the precise location
of Site 18CV482. The 1862 map could just as easily represent 18CV480. The Locust Grove tract was passed
from Alexander Somervell to his son Charles, and then to his wife Margaret. Again, the disposition of
the tract that became known as the "Wilson Farm" is less certain.
At the death of Margaret E. Somervell, Locust Grove was transferred at private sale to a Willis G.
Dowell by Joseph A. Wilson (an attorney), his son Joseph S. Wilson (the adjoining landowner), and
the other executors of Margaret Somervell’s estate. The ownership of Locust Grove is in question between
1883 (when Dowell acquired it) and 1891, when Joseph S. Wilson, acting as a trustee for the sale,
oversaw the sale of the parcel to a Morris C. Menghis. The property would then be sold to Joseph
S. Wilson in February of 1892, who then sold it to James Locks and his wife July 28th,
1892. Joseph S. Wilson died in 1904.
The Locks would eventually sell most of the property to John W. Breeden on March 8, 1915. Breeden
would, in turn, sell the property to Frederick C.H. Wessel in 1920. Wessel sold the tract to Goodman
Goldstein in October of 1925, reuniting the tract with the Wilson Farm and other properties (much of
which came out of the old Somervell estate).
Again, the Wilson Farm tract was acquired by a deed that was lost in the Calvert County courthouse fire. Records
in a later case, however, record the transfer. Joseph A. Wilson (Joseph S.' father) acquired the property from
other members of the Wilson family and from individuals with the surname Dare; a name that provides
a tenuous link between Wilson and the Somervells. Joseph A. Wilson died in 1888 and willed the
property to his wife, Sarah. The farm featured "about ½ mile of waterfront, with a natural oyster
bar opposite the dwellings, where most delicious oysters grow. The farm is improved by a large
dwelling, two tobacco barns, and other buildings."
Joseph S. Wilson died in 1904 and the property apparently passed to his brother Augustus S. Wilson.
In 1904, he defaulted on a mortgage and his creditors became party to a suit over the estate of Joseph
A. Wilson. The ultimate outcome appears to have been the sale of the Wilson Farm tract in 1916 to
Goodman Goldstein who, again, reunited it with Locust Grove. The Goldstein Family would eventually
sell the property to BG&E in 1967.
Phase II field investigations began with the excavation of 591 STPs at 4.6 meter (15 ft) intervals
around structures of interest and 7.62 meter (25 ft) intervals across the rest of the site. This
was followed by excavation of judgmentally placed test units. The distribution of all artifacts
from STPs showed a high density of artifacts in the area around just to the north and west of
the metal garage. Aerial photographs from the early 20th century indicate that the garage was
built atop the former farmhouse. This would place the artifact concentration in an area where
small outbuildings were located between the house and a woodlot to the north. Lesser amounts of
artifacts were recovered from elsewhere at the site. Based on these data, 16 test units of
varying sizes (30 X 90 cm up to 1.5 X 1.5 m), were opened to investigate the area north and
west of the garage. It was thought that structural remains, possible activity areas, yard
areas, etc. might be located here because of the greater artifacts densities.
Excavations identified 17 distinct features within the domestic nucleus of 18CV480. Ten of these
features fell in yard and hillslope north of the former farm house location. The features in
this area included portions of an intact Ab horizon, four stone wall or pier sections, four
postholes/molds, and demolition rubble. No evidence of the historic era house, buildings, or
trees remains on the site. The level area where the house once stood was evidently bulldozed when
the house was razed. Features in the area of the former house are limited in number and include
a deep pit feature, the driveway, a possible building foundation pier, and four postholes/molds.
Geomorphological assessment concluded that portions of the site have been disturbed by modern
activities. The large upper field west of the former house location is actually an excavated basin
that may have been used as a source of soil materials during power plant construction and has
been used as a disposal area for water intake sediments during plant operation. The northern part
of the test unit area also appears to have been excavated and then filled through
earthmoving. Shovel testing within previously cultivated fields generally documented
an Ap-Bt soil horizon sequence within eroded soils.
Phase Ib and Phase II investigations produced a combined assemblage of nearly 25,000 artifacts,
all but 7 of which were historic or modern. The 7 prehistoric artifacts were non-diagnostic
lithics. Excavations at 18CV480 revealed a mid-19th to 20th century domestic farmstead
site. The nucleus of the site, represented by the house location and adjacent yard areas was
centered in a 101 X 43 meter area near the extant metal garage. The habitation area is
heavily disturbed, as much of the house area was mechanically stripped of its a horizon
(along with artifacts) and lacks integrity. There are localized areas with good integrity on
the northern end of the habitation area. The outlying tobacco barns, activity areas, and
fields have a low-density artifact scatter.
Excavations identified 17 cultural features within the domestic nucleus of Site 18CV480. In
general, the former house location and the adjacent yard areas lack good integrity. The site
was occupied for a long period and includes modern artifacts mixed with older artifacts. The
site does not possess the potential to address important questions relating to the history of
this region. The site should not be considered a significant archeological resource.
(Edited from
the Maryland
Historical Trust Synthesis Project)
References
-
Munford, Barbara, Lori A. Frye, and Matthew Hyland
-
2009.
Phase I Cultural Resources Investigations and Phase II National Register Site Evaluations, Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant, Calvert County, Maryland