Angelica Knoll Site (18CV60)
The Angelica Knoll site (18CV60) is the remains of a late 17th
and 18th century plantation in Calvert County, Maryland. The
main occupation of the Angelica Knoll site most likely represents
the residence of Richard Johns and his family and descendants.
Johns acquired the property at some point between 1677 and 1717.
Though the exact date is uncertain, the presence of pipes made by
Llewellyn Evans at the site indicates that there must have been
an occupation there by 1689. Richard Johns was a successful planter
and a member of Maryland’s early Quaker community. The Calvert
Cliffs area where Angelica Knoll is located was a center of
Quaker activity, as monthly meetings took place there for
over 100 years from c. 1672-1771.
When Richard Johns died, the portion of the tract with the
plantation home descended to his son Isaac. At Isaac’s death
in 1734, a probate inventory taken of his goods describes
where they were physically located on the plantation, leading
to some hints about the architecture there. The main house
had a hall, closet, room, and porch, each with a chamber
above. This indicates a probable two-story cruciform structure.
Outbuildings mentioned include a milk house and a kitchen,
which also had a chamber.
Isaac left the Angelica plantation to his sons Richard and
Samuel to be divided equally. Richard got the first choice
of land and most likely selected the area with the structures.
Since there were so many Johns family members named Richard,
Isaac’s son Richard was referred to as “Richard Johns of
Angelica” when he witnessed his cousin Richard’s will in 1748.
A geologist studying Calvert Cliffs first brought the Angelica
Knoll site to the attention of archaeologists when he took
artifacts he had surface collected to the Smithsonian in
the early 1950s. Robert Elder and a team of volunteers then
undertook systematic excavations there from 1954 to 1959.
The study represents a very early example of historical
archaeology in Maryland and it took place before current
standards for treatment of artifacts had been established.
Features were mapped and identified, and many artifacts
were retained, but soil was not screened, and certain
categories of artifacts were discarded. For example, pipes
with marks and decorations were retained, but, “A half
bushel of plain stem fragments was not retained” (Elder
1991:28). Additionally, artifacts were not curated by
provenience. Elder (1991:8) states, “Originally, materials
from the foundation were kept separately, but careful
analysis showed them to be the same as from the rest of
the site. Therefore they were integrated in the final
storage of specimens.”
Despite these problems with the collection, a 1991 reexamination
of Elder’s work by Silas Hurry and Julia King determined that
the site most likely dates to the occupation by Richard Johns,
his son Isaac, and Isaac’s wife Elizabeth c. 1677-1735. An
occupation by Isaac’s son Richard is also probable after 1735.
The assemblage can therefore be used as a study collection for
a late 17th- to mid-18th-century site.
(Edited from Diagnostic
Artifacts in Maryland, Small Finds)
References
-
Elder, Robert A. Jr.
-
1991.
Excavation Report on the Angelica (Knoll) Area: A Colonial Historical Site on the Jones Farm in Calvert County, Maryland.
Maryland Archeology 27(1):1-47.