King's Reach (18CV83)
King’s Reach (18CV83) is the site of a late 17th-century
plantation in Calvert County, Maryland. The site is
located on the Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum (JPPM)
property near St. Leonard in Calvert County, Maryland.
Documentary evidence suggests 18CV83 may have been the
homestead of Richard Smith Jr. from the late 17th century
until 1711. Richard Smith, Jr. was the son of the first
Attorney General of Maryland, Richard Smith, Sr. The
elder Richard Smith acquired the 750 acre “St. Leonards”
tract (on which the site is located) from Governor William
Stone in 1663. Richard Smith Sr. is believed to have
established his household at nearby site 18CV92 sometime
shortly after acquiring the land. Richard Smith, Jr. may
have established his own household to the north of his
father’s home, and lived there until he was able to build
a more substantial structure. He is thought to have built
the manor house at 18CV91 in 1711, shortly before his
death in 1715.
The site was first identified during the course of a
Phase I archaeological survey in 1981. The April
1981 fieldwork entailed a controlled surface collection.
Site 18CV83 was first identified as a brick and artifact
scatter. The controlled surface collections at 18CV83
in 1981 recovered an excellent sample of artifacts
dating from the late 17th century. The site was
interpreted as the probable location of a post-in-ground
structure, perhaps with a brick fireplace.
Following acquisition of the JPPM by the State of Maryland,
King’s Reach was selected as the first site to be excavated
by archaeologists in 1984. A systematic surface collection
was undertaken to allow for definition of site boundaries
and artifact concentrations. Subsurface investigation then
began and lasted for two summers, with additional excavations
in 1987. One hundred and sixteen 2 x 2 meter units were
excavated in the site core, while 28 were systematically
distributed in the outlying area. An extensive complex of
subsurface features was exposed in the plantation core. All
features were recorded, and selected ones were excavated.
In addition, soil chemical samples were systematically
taken from the plow zone across the site, and tests were
run on phosphates, calcium, and potassium.
The excavations revealed two earthfast buildings with a
connecting foreyard. The one-story main dwelling measured
30 X 20 ft., divided into a parlor and kitchen with a
sleeping loft above. A wood-framed, mud-lined hood and
chimney was set on a brick hearth in the kitchen. A
10 ft. wide shed extended along the rear of the
structure, while a 5 X 7 ft. shed was attached to
the north gable. There were eleven cellars below
the wooden floor of the structure. Two cellars
appear to have had specialized functions: a root
cellar in front of the hearth and a dairy cooling
pit in the small shed. The remaining cellars appear
to represent successive generations of general
storage pits. One doorway led from the kitchen
to the foreyard, while a second led outside
from the rear-set shed.
The second structure in the core, measuring 20 X 10
ft., was possibly a quarter for servants or slaves.
A chimneyless hearth was on the west side of the
building a single 8 square foot cellar served as
general storage. One doorway led into the foreyard
toward the main house, and a second was placed on
the east gable. Two generations of ditch-set fences
joined this building and the main dwelling to form
the foreyard.
Mapped patterns of artifact distributions indicate
that 3 areas were used to dispose of food refuse:
the south yard, the abandoned cellar holes, and
in the enclosed yard between the main house and
quarter. A comparison of food remains recovered
from the main house, compared to those recovered
from the quarter suggests that occupants of the
former had a better quality diet with more meat.
Despite the fairly modest size and layout of the
main house, it appears to have been inhabited by
fairly wealthy individuals. The household apparently
invested a notable portion of its wealth in portable
goods, as indicated by the numerous costly artifacts
recovered. Such items include highly refined pottery,
fine table glass, pewter objects, decorative book
clasps, etc.
The diagnostic materials recovered at King’s Reach
suggest that it was occupied from about 1690 to
1715. A total of 66,371 artifacts were recovered
during the investigations at 18CV83. These included
architectural, kitchen, and furniture objects,
personal items, tools, arms, horse furniture, and
food remains. One hundred and fifty-three ceramic
vessels were identified from the site. A total of
4,322 glass artifacts were found, consisting mostly
of wine and case bottle fragments.
Very little information is available concerning the
prehistoric component at 18CV83, however it has been
described as a possible ‘base camp’. At least 1
Kirk corner-notched point, 1 Levanna point, 1
unidentified side-notched point, 5 Accokeek cord-marked
sherds, 2 Rappahannock fabric-impressed sherds, 1
Townsend Corded Horizontal sherd, 1 Potomac Creek
cord-impressed sherd, and 1 Potomac Creek plain
sherd have been recovered.
The King’s Reach dwelling appears to have been abandoned
around 1711, when Richard Smith Jr.’s family moved to
a new residence on the property (18CV91). Although
Smith was fairly well-to-do, he apparently lived in
an impermanent earthfast dwelling at King’s Reach.
The artifacts, striking in quantity and variety,
suggests Smith invested his wealth in portable
household goods. In 1711, as the tobacco economy
was strengthening, Smith abandoned King’s Reach
for a larger house representative of his status
as a wealthy planter.
The King’s Reach site complex is representative of
the mid-size tobacco plantations that dominated the
Chesapeake region during the late 17th and early 18th
centuries, a period when the tobacco economy was in
prolonged depression. The assemblage from the main house,
18CV83, can be used to address issues ranging from
standards of living during the tobacco economy
depression to the organization of plantation homelots
at the end of the 17th century. The collection can
also provide evidence of material conditions for
servants and slaves as the transformation to a slave
economy was underway. Plow zone materials reveal the
use of domestic space on the plantation.
(Edited from Archaeological Collections in
Maryland)
References
-
Pogue, Dennis J.
-
1997.
Culture Change Along the Tobacco Coast: 1670-1720.
PhD dissertation, American University.
-
Samford, Patricia
-
2016.
King's Reach Site (18CV83) Technical Report (partial draft).