Smith's St. Leonard(18CV91)
The Smith’s St. Leonard Site (18CV91) was the homelot
of a tobacco plantation occupied during the first
half of the 18th century in Calvert County, Maryland.
It is situated today at the southern end of Jefferson
Patterson Park and Museum (JPPM), on a bluff overlooking
the confluence of the Patuxent River and St. Leonard’s
Creek.
Documentary evidence suggests that Richard Smith Jr.
built a residence at this location in 1711. After
Richard’s death in 1715, the property was inherited
by his son, Walter, who in turn left it to his son,
Nathaniel. Nathaniel died shortly thereafter, and
left it to his brother, John. After John’s death
in 1754, the plantation was willed to his nephew,
Walter, a child, and the only surviving Smith male.
At this time the homelot was abandoned. Court records
from the early 1770s indicate that the Smith house
and surrounding outbuildings were in ruins by that
time.
The Smith’s St. Leonard Site was first identified
in 1981 during a preliminary archaeological survey
of the Patterson property. No further work was done
on the site until 1999, when a small trash pit was
uncovered during a shoreline stabilization project.
The unusual artifacts recovered from this pit,
when combined with the detailed documentary
evidence available on the Smith family residency,
led JPPM archaeologists to make the site the subject
of the museum’s annual Public Archaeology Program.
In May 2002, the first extensive investigation of
the site began. The trash pit first uncovered in
1999 was fully excavated in 2002. Excavations
continued, from 2003-2008 during the park’s public
archaeology program in May and June, and from year-round
from 2009-2016, except for the winter months.
Approximately 280- 1.5 meter units have been excavated
at the site since 2002, and over 4 million artifacts
recovered. This count includes vast amounts of
brick and oyster shell. Archaeological evidence
of the main house, kitchen, stable, several outbuildings,
and a possible well have been uncovered. The stable
is the only known 18th-century stable in Maryland
to date.
Some of these buildings appear to be a quarters for
enslaved workers. Comparing the artifacts and features
found at this structure with those uncovered at the
Smiths’ own nearby residence provides an opportunity
to examine 18th-century social relations on the
plantation. The rich 18th-century documentary
record on the site adds to the database. The
picture of social relations can be expanded
diachronically when the evidence from 18CV91
is compared to two other sites on the plantation:
18CV83, Richard Smith Jr.’s home from c.1690-1711,
and 18CV92, where Smith’s father lived starting
in the early 1660s. The Smith’s St. Leonard Site
is also important because in southern Maryland
the archaeological evidence of 17th-century life
is, perhaps surprisingly, better known than that
of the 18th century. Investigations at 18CV91
help fill in these gaps in the archaeological
record.
The archaeological record supported the documentary
evidence which indicated that the Smith’s St.
Leonard Site was occupied from c. 1711-1754. Only
a couple of artifacts dating to before 1711 were
found, and no creamware or other later 18th-century
objects were recovered. 18CV91 will continue to be
the subject of archaeological investigations by
JPPM staff.
(Edited from Archaeological Collections in
Maryland)
References
-
Field Records
-
n.d..
Original Field Records for 18CV91.